This coffee cake will have people eating out of your hand, not literally of course, tell them to eat off a darn plate. But honestly I can not tell you how many compliments I received after bringing some of this delicious coffee cake to work. People loved it! Maybe it was the sugar high they were on afterwards, but who cares, sugar makes things delicious!
Let me first start by saying Happy Halloween from myself and Eva. She completed my cowgirl outfit as my little cowgirl side kick. Like her hat? I can tell you she didn't.
So back to the recipe...
Begin by peeling, coring and slicing apples. Then mix the dry ingredients together; flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Then beat butter in a mixer till creamy. Gradually add the sugar mixing well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients to this mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix at low speed until blended well after each addition. Lastly add the vanilla.
Pour batter into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Cover with apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Make crumble topping by stirring together flour, brown sugar, walnuts or pecans, and melted butter. Pour on top of apple slices. Then make caramel topping by heating butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and water in a saucepan till thick. Pour caramel over top of crumble. Bake for 40 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean.
This is one heck of a dessert. Who doesn't like coffee cake or apples or caramel, right? Serve with a large glass of milk or some vanilla ice cream and you've got winner.
Apple Caramel Coffee Cake
Makes: 24 servings | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 40 Minutes
6 Macintosh Apples
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel, core, and slice apples. Mix together dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter till creamy in a mixer. Add sugar and combine well. Then beat in each egg one at a time. Next mix in dry ingredients and milk, alternating and mixing well after each addition. End with the flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
3. Pour batter into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Layer apples on top of batter and sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Make crumble topping by mixing together flour, brown sugar, pecans or walnuts, and melted butter. Make caramel by heating butter, white sugar and brown sugar in a saucepan till thick. Then add water to thin out a touch.
5. Sprinkle crumble topping over apples and then pour caramel on top of that. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
6. Slice and eat up!